Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Bangkok by Night

Okay okay buddy...before you start getting any of those filty little ideas that only your perverted mind could have I want to state it loud and clear that it was a family night out in Bangkok! LOL

Me messing with my new toy while the little one looks on as we wait for the cruise.

On by recent working trip to Bangkok wifey and the little one tagged along. We were only there for a few days but we wanted to make the most of it since the last time we came the little one was only just starting to walk.

That the ship in the background slowly coming to dock. Check out the beautiful background sky.

We had heard a lot about the night river cruise decided to try it on the first night. It was a great experience and we enjoyed it once we got there. Getting there was a whole different story though. It started at the concierge who recommended that we take the skytrain (BTS) since it was rush-hour. Believe be in the past I'd never take a cab in Bangkok at rush-hour...it was so much easier to walk or take the train. Hmmmm...now we weren't prepared for that because the station is a little hard to get to but rather than risk missing our cruise that we hed booked earlier we took the advise.

Close up of the ship/boat all lighted up...again check out the beautiful shades of blue in the sky.

The minute we got into the hotel shuttle the little one dozed off. By the time we got to the shuttle stop she was fast asleep. So we had to carry her up the stairs to the sky train station which as the name goes is "Pretty darned high up". Fortunately we had a easy time on the train as the kind people of Bangkok actually got up and gave my wife their seats. That happened at the hotel shuttle, the first train and the connecting train. Believe me we were drained but could see that traffic was indeed at a standstill as always.

Don't ask me what building it was but that was the hull of another cruise boat gliding past..
Once we reached the last station we were beat and then had to find the hotel. That too was a small challenge as we could see the dock but not the hotel. Finally after some queries we found the hotel but it was on the wrong side so we got a tour of the Shangrila...well we had to walk through the hotel and it was a really nice hotel. We finally reached the boarding area...where we sat and took pictures as we waited.
Another place with no name...I could bluff you and you wouldn't even know right? LOL
The boat was really very nice...it had better be for the price we paid. The food was excellent and there was dining on the deck as well as in the air conditioned cabin. We opted for the cabin because it looked like it might rain. Fortunately it didn't and we were able to move outside freely to enjoy the sights. There were many things to see and I was busy with my handycam (okay I haven't downloaded the clips yet). It was a really marvellous experience.
And this is the view of the...urmmm...whatever. I must say that the river was really clean and odourless plus theere were dozens of boats all over. There were even barges that were running silent and dark so as not to be obtrusive to the tourist. Very well done.
Some folks actually dressed up really spiffy (not you Spiff) and we did wonder if we should have worn our Sunday best...errr NOT...it was a cruise on the Chao Phraya and jeans was okay if you ask me...but we did think that if we did it again we dress up too LOL Just for the fun of it!!

The temple by the river...might have been the palace...DOH!

All in all we had a nice experience and the food was simply excellent. I guess I should have taken some pictures of the food but wifey was holding this camera so I'll just blame her...besides she's fast asleep now and can't defend herself LOL


Okay this is my in my favourite pose...drinking my coffee while gazing out...I kinda like the little hand on the side too!
Well that's it for the cruise. It was an delightful event and I recommend it. There are several different boats and we saw one huge one speed by while blaring Hindi music....I guess it was for the tourists on board. However, our little Shangrila boat was kinda cozy and romantic and I guess that says it all.
Cheers!

22 comments:

Mariuca said...

Oh u went for a vakasi GK? Work vakasi dat is! :)

Mariuca said...

Thanks for chopping at MD Adrian, I added ur badge edi yay! I see u're no longer on EC so I used ur Homer pic. ;)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Darn it, Marzie beat me to it!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Whoa, the pictures are incredible buddy and I don't mean your picture taking ok ... LOL!

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

But seriously (like when am I ever serious?) looks like you guys had a great time :D

Adrian said...

Hi GP! Yup a work vakasi... besides our conferene was at the hotel so it wasn't much work and as soon as we were done we'd head out for the evening.

Adrian said...

Haha me old Homer avatar will do...since I can't comment at WOAFS I thought at least can comment on MD...hehe

Cheers and thanks for being first commenter...Nick is going to hate this LOL

Adrian said...

Yup bud...beaten by Marzie! Good thing I didn't put up my little prize yet huh or you'd have lost out LOL....

Adrian said...

Hey hey hey...watch it dude...the picture taking was by wifey LOL But the pictures were nice...believe me the scenery as evening turened to night was spectacular and although I'd been to Bangkok many times I had never taken the cruise before and seen the city from that view point.

Adrian said...

Yeah we did have a great time and this was only the half of it...I still have to post about my Bangkok Safari...keep an eye out k! :)

Adrian said...

GP Thanks for reminding me...I got deleted from EC sometime back and have only just resubmitted my application. Cheers!

Mariuca said...

He he, EC has just been bought over by a new person, so let's see what happens. Yeah la, long time no advertise here! ;)

Mariuca said...

Yeah! Your first chop and point at MD lol! Come chop some more later GK! Are u on Twitter yet?

Mariuca said...

I wanna go for another vakasi but dunno when... ;)

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

Never mind buddy, I'll have to keep an eye out for new posts from you before Marzie get's her chopping started over here ... LOL!

Adrian said...

HI Marzie! EC has been bought over...we should come up with something people will buy so can make tons of money LOL Lets wait and see on the new EC thingy! :)

Adrian said...

Woo hooo....back in the chopping game. No haven't got my twitter account yet...do I have to? I know it's the latest craze...but even updating my facebook is a little slow right now :(

Adrian said...

Hey GP!! No fair you just went for a swell vakasi and now you wanna go again. I wanna go for vakasi too...a long long vakasi too and hope it'll be sooner rather than later...but I did have fun in Bangkok and PD!

Adrian said...

Buddy!! At least you only have to contend with Marzie...so you have fifty fifty chance of chopping and winning LOL You guys are so funny! :) Cheers!

Adrian said...

Hey GP!! Just realized that I am on twitter although never used it LOL Must have signed up a long time ago when I was still blogging. My name is Eddiejohn66...

harshil aka slayer said...

looks like u guys had a blast of a lifetime !!!
and hmmmmm
no guesses
a awesome blog

Anonymous said...

[color=#99bbdd]Hello guys! I'm about going on holiday to Asia. I would like some info on[/color] [url=http://pattayathailandhotels.info]Pattaya[/url] [color=#99bbdd]in[/color] [url=http://pattayathailandhotels.info]Thailand[/url][color=#99bbdd]. It's a good place to go with family or I should choose another place? Thank You :-)[/color]