Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

How much is that doggie in the window?

We recently got a puppy for our little daughter as her pet. Wifey and me have been at odds these past few years on what type of size the dog should be. Wifey wanted a large breed to guard the house and I wanted a cute little animal to pet. I think I have a phobia for large dogs because of an incident long ago whaen I was a young boy where a huge dog lunged at me as I was walking by. I think I saw my life flash past me because if it weren’t for the fence that kept us apart I’d have been a goner.

Anyway, we’ve been going to pet shops at random to look at puppies and could never agree. This year though we decided that it was time. The little one was getting older and could do with the responsibility and the company too. It was meant to be her birthday gift but because we were going to be away we had to delay it a little. In the meantime, we visited an uncle’s place and she really liked their poodle. Now I’m no poodle lover but the dog was really well behaved and playful.

To compromise we asked the little one to choose, and she decided that she wanted a poodle type dog just like Spike, my uncle’s dog. So as soon as our scheduled permitted we went pup hunting. I had a Schnauzer in mind from the beginning and even contacted a few breeders. Unfortunately because we were a little busy we didn’t get a chance to go take a peek. Last Sunday however, for some strange reason I just said lets go look for Rupert…okay I had named the dog before picking it…hey I was going to get a male regardless.

We had been to most of the malls to look at their pets so we decided to look at the smaller petshops and on our second try we found this tiny little grey furball that was to be Rupert. Ellie liked him too. To be fair to her we also showed her a poodle and other breeds but she was unfazed. I was happy because we were getting a dog that both of us liked. Importantly, wifey liked him too. A smaller dog would be a little easier to handle for Ellie.

We were surprised though when we got home and she seemed to develop a little fear of the dog biting her feet. No matter what we said and did, she was still fearful and would take flying leaps on the chairs whenever the puppy got too close to her feet. She is however, slowly getting over the initial fears. She does love him and whenever he’s in his cage she’ll sit by him and stare at his eyes. A Kodak moment!! We’re happy that we got him too and happy to see that the little one is gradually being taken in by him.

Well the story would normally end there but yesterday when we went out we popped into another petshop to look for a bed for our little fellow. We didn’t find what we were looking for but what we found was a two-year old Siberian Husky sitting there with his owner. I must admit that in our pet hunting I have seen Husky puppies and they looked cute with their lovely eyes. If we ever were to get a big dog this would be it I told wifey too.

Anyway, there were a few people crowding around the Husky and he lay quiet but as we got near he suddenly got up and went to wifey and stood up to her with his paws on her chest and gave her a lick on the face. Wifey is not the type of person who likes the doggies smooches so it was a sight. But I was not over because he sniffed our little girl and then came to me and put his paws on my chest too. Okay flashbacks of my big dog phobia were intertwined with amazement at this big dog’s behavior.

I was not going to let the big fellow anywhere near my face but I did give him a nice back rub. I don’t know why he came up to us but we’re thinking that it either because we smell real bad or he could get the scent of Rupert off us. He only came to us too. His name was Milo…odd name for a dog but so is Rupert LOL Either way he was friendly and had lovely eyes. I told wifey again that she could get a Husky if she wanted and I would have no objections. Who knows?? Her birthday is coming up soon too LOL

2 comments:

Nick Phillips (15/03/1967 - 04/11/2022) said...

He's an adorable lil fellow and it was fun watching the lil tyke chase Pebbles ... LOL!

Must have more of those dog day afternoons :D

Adrian said...

Yup buddy...Pebbles is a really pretty dog and I htink my little pup had the hots for her LOL